Let’s shape the future University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic and forward-thinking European university. We provide innovative academic training to more than 20,000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important role as a service provider in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6,000 employees from 100 different countries, we contribute every day to building the world of tomorrow. Through cutting-edge scientific research, we are pushing boundaries and setting a course for the future, a future you can help shape.
The Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences (University of Antwerp) is seeking to fill a full time (100%) vacancy at the Ministry of Family and Population Health for a postdoctoral researcher in the field of bioinformatics of next-generation sequencing data from Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
You will work under the supervision of Prof. Annelies Van Rie in the TORCH consortium (Tuberculosis Omics ResearCH) (https://torch-consortium.com) at the University of Antwerp in Belgium. This consortium is a close collaboration between the University of Antwerp (Prof Van Rie) and the University of Stellenbosch in South Africa (Prof. Rob Warren).
Description of position / study:
- You will devote your research entirely to the field of next-generation sequencing analysis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (mainly Illumina data, possibly Oxford Nanopore Technologies).
- Your main tasks will be: (1) maintain, update, improve and extend the NGS analysis pipeline and its documentation which have been developed by the TORCH consortium, and (2) use this pipeline to perform NGS analysis of data from sequencing obtained from from sequencing of sputum, early positive cultures and tuberculosis cultures for strain identification, drug resistance inference and transmission analysis.
- You will work in close collaboration with other members of TORCH from the University of Antwerp and the TB-Genomics laboratory of the University of Stellenbosch led by Prof. Rob Warren, and the mycobacteriology unit of the Institute of Medicine tropical, led by Professor Bouke De Jong.
- You will contribute to ongoing NGS capacity building efforts in Ethiopia, Peru and Zambia.
- You will perform certain service tasks, both internally to the service and externally.
- Your appointment is at the University of Antwerp and is funded by FWO Belgium.
- You hold a PhD in computer science, bioinformatics or a related field
- Experience in TB or other infectious disease research is preferred, but not required
- Experience in genetic research is preferred, but not required
- You have experience in bioinformatics, especially in NGS data analysis and quality control
- You have a track record of successful research, as evidenced by publications in peer-reviewed journals
- You have programming experience (Python preferred) and experience with Unix OS
- Experience in PBS, AWS cloud computing, R, Git, NextFlow and Bash will be considered an advantage
- You are a team player, act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation
- You are quality oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative
- You have strong communication skills
- You are fluent in academic English (spoken and written)
- A full-time appointment as a postdoctoral researcher for a period of 18 to 24 months.
- An appointment that will start no earlier than August 1, 2022 and no later than October 1, 2022.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the salary scale for a principal researcher in the category of contract researchers (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch PersoneelBAP).
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment at the University of Antwerp Campus Drie Eiken.
- Read more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
How to register?
- You can apply for this position via the online application platform of the University of Antwerp up to and including June 19, 2022 (before midnight Brussels time). Click on the apply button, complete the online application form and make sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, a copy of your academic CV.
- A pre-selection will be made among the files submitted. The (online) interviews of the selected candidates will take place in the second half of June
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please consult the frequently asked questions or send an e-mail to [email protected]
- For any questions regarding the profile and job description, please contact Prof. Van Rie ([email protected]).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-run organization that invests in the growth of its employees. We encourage the diversity and place a high value on an inclusive work environment and equal opportunity regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnic origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.